Modafinil – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We have tons of content on this site covering everything you could ever want to know about Modafinil. Help us help you by asking us what you’re looking for.
Check out any of the links below to find common answers to frequently asked questions about Modafinil.
If you want to skip all the information and get right to buying your own Modafinil, I recommend getting it here.
Modafinil (brand names: Provigil, Modalert, Alertec, Modavigil) is a stimulant and wakefulness-promoting agent. Put simply, it was designed for one thing: keeping you awake. And it does that very well.
You may have a friend or colleague who’s taken Modafinil and raved about its effects. Truth be told, Modafinil is not new — but it is becoming increasingly popular.
Why have so many people started taking Modafinil?
First and foremost, it’s relatively cheap and easy to get. Previously, you could only get your hands on Modafinil if you worked for a pharmaceutical company or were in the military. Now, you can buy Modafinil online without a prescription, and it ships right to your doorstep in days. Times have changed.
More than that though, Modafinil just plain works. Buying health supplements online is like navigating an ancient bazaar pervaded by snake oil salesmen. When something actually works, it’s a rare and precious thing.
Here’s what Modafinil does:
It gets rid of the mental fog and side-effects of short-term sleep deprivation.
Ever been sleep deprived? It sucks. You’re cranky, tired, can’t focus, and tend to forget basic things — like your keys, and your manners. Modafinil takes care of all that, leaving you fresh and alert.
How does it work? Well, the science is still out on that one. What we do know for sure is that Modafinil increases neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. But it’s not as “harsh” as prescription stimulants like Adderall or Ritalin; the effects are much more subtle, they last longer, and there are fewer side effects.
Notably, Modafinil is not addictive. That’s an important footnote on an already impressive resume; one of the major problems with Adderall is that people overuse it and abuse it. Not so with Modafinil.
Probably the biggest and only downside of Modafinil is that it’s tough to relax. Your mind and body need sleep (duh), so keeping yourself awake for repeated, extended periods isn’t the best thing. When you can’t sleep, you can’t fully relax. When you can’t relax, you’re not such a pleasant person to be around.
Some articles about Modafinil
I’ve written a lot about Modafinil on this website. I put everything here in one place so you can find exactly what you’re looking for. Check out the links below and you’ll find all your Modafinil questions answered.
Is Modafinil Legal?
It’s illegal to buy Modafinil in most countries, unless you have a prescription (for Provigil). People always ask me, “how can I get prescribed Modafinil?” Here’s my answer:
Yet despite its legal status, the legal risks are minimal. I’ve personally never heard of anyone running into issues with Modafinil (and nearly all of my friends and colleagues take or have taken it). A well-known nootropics blogger named Gwern looked for court cases where people were arrested for Modafinil use, but he did not find much (check out his report here).
So, Modafinil exists in a sort of legal gray zone. You do need a prescription (Modafinil is a Schedule IV drug in the USA), but enforcement of these laws is lax at best. Nevertheless, supply shortages often happen if the FDA desides to put pressure on Indian manufacturers.
A lot of people take Modafinil to adjust to work-related stresses that come with a new job, or new school year. If you have to take a drug test (a ritual that is, thankfully, on the decline in the US), you can rest/wake assured: Modafinil does not show up on a standard drug test.
Buying Modafinil Online
Because of its legal status, you cannot buy Modafinil (or even Adrafinil) in local stores like GNC, CVS, or Walmart. Fret not, there are plenty of places to get it online.
Reliable Suppliers of Modafinil and Armodafinil
These are suppliers with consistently high quality Modafinil, and good customer service (fast shipping, friendly support):
- Duckdose (+ my review)
- AfinilExpress (+ my review)
- Afinil.com – newer vendor with great cust. service
These are the “big brands” at the moment. However, many new stores are opening up. Here is a more comprehensive list of sites that sell Modafinil online.
Reliable Adrafinil Suppliers
Price of Modafinil
As mentioned, Modafinil is fairly cheap compared to other drugs, and even other over-the-counter nootropics. Not surprisingly, many users still look for rock-bottom prices asking, why is modafinil so expensive?
Again my answer is, it’s not it’s actually really cheap, especially when you consider the benefits mentioned above.
How To Take Modafinil
I take Modafinil or Armodafinil in the morning on an empty stomach. I find that it tends to start working faster that way, and that the effects feel “cleaner” and more consistent without a belly full of food in the way.
Dosage: I prefer taking 37.5mg of Armodafinil (Nuvigil) or 50mg of Modafinil.
If it’s your first rodeo, check out this article: How To Take Modafinil For The First Time.
If you take Modafinil on an empty stomach, you will start to feel the effects in about 25-30 minutes. Taken with food, it could take around 45 minutes to an hour before you feel anything.
Note, the effects of Modafinil last all day long (about 8-10 hours). Another reason to take it in the morning. When the effects start to wear off, you’ll feel like your normal self again.
Is Modafinil Safe? Side Effects To Consider
Taking any supplement is not without risks. As with all supplementation, the long term effects may outweigh any short term benefits.
Consider that the greater effect a drug has in the short term, the greater of a “crutch” it becomes over the long run. This was addressed in a 2013 interview between Tim Ferris and Brian Rose of London Real: Tim Ferriss on Modafinil.
Personally, I found that the most noticeable side effect of Modafinil is that it amplifies social anxiety. This is very bro-science, but here’s my theory: Modafinil is great for goal-oriented work.
Being goal-oriented when you’re having fun with friends is not how you want to be. Rather, you want to be relaxed, flowing, care-free and in the moment. It’s like having a bit too much caffeine then going on a date — not comfortable for you, nor your date.
If you take Modafinil no more than once or twice per week, you should be A-Okay. This lack-of-social-vibe effect seems to happen when I take Modafinil 3-4 times per week for a few months in a row.
Additionally, when you’re stimulated on Modafinil and in hyperfocus mode, it’s easy to forget to take care of basic necessities — like going to the bathroom, eating (Modafinil also suppresses appetite), drinking water, and just plain moving around.
The result of this is that you can experience eye-strain (if using a computer) and a pressure headache, called the “Modafinil headache.”
That’s about it. I’ve never heard of someone overdosing on Modafinil, though of course it would be possible and very unpleasant (imagine drinking 20 cups of coffee).
Modafinil and Alcohol
Let’s be clear: Modafinil keeps you awake. Alcohol is a depressant. Combine the two, and, in theory, you can get the inhibition-loss of booze without the groggy side effects.
Personally, I think Modafinil and alcohol make a poor combination. You really need to strike the right balance to make it work, which is not a balancing act I’d like to play when I’m trying to have fun. Nevertheless, many people swear by this combo so it can be done.
My default “upper” to combine with booze is simply caffeine. It’s cheap, it’s effective, and it’s not going to keep you up until the next sunrise.
Unique Uses For Modafinil
Most articles written on the internet talk about Modafinil’s history as a drug used by fighter pilots, and its current use by students and business-people.
Less discussed are unique, alternative uses for Modafinil (here, I think, is the “frontier” of Afinil use: clever, tactical application).
Here area few I’ve been playing with:
- Modafinil For Jet Lag: The Ultimate Cure?
- Writer’s Block
- Language Learning On Modafinil
- Modafinil For Weight Loss
Regarding the latter point, its likely due to Modafinil’s appetite-suppressing effects. Nevertheless, it works and works well.
Take Modafinil in the morning and you may forget to eat lunch (and dinner, too!).
Even with its benefits, many people find the pros outweighed by the cons.
The gray legal status, online ordering process from cutely-named vendors like Duck and Cat, and the social side effects can be off-putting.
In the same way that many students, entrepreneurs and athletes turned to Modafinil as a substitute for Adderall, those same folks are now looking for other natural, healthier alternatives to Modafinil.
Here are my favorite Modafinil substitutes:
- Less Modafinil (seriously). Reddit’s /r/afinil Wiki pages suggests 200mg as a standard dosage. I recommend taking no more than 50mg in the morning (1/4 tablet).
- Adrafinil, for reasons mentioned above.
- Alpha Brain (ie, high quality Bacopa Monieri).
Read more here:
Caffeine and Modafinil
You can drink coffee or caffeinated tea while on Modafinil, and it’s quite enjoyable.
But a little goes a long way. If you usually drink 2-3 cups, one will do. More than that and you’ll be overstimulated, too anxious to focus.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with microdosing LSD (specifically, 1P-LSD). After just a couple attempts, I can say that this is the Modafinil alternative we’ve all been waiting for.
Same/better focus effects, plus noticeable improvements in mood. Notably, LSD microdoses make me pro-social, rather than anti-social.
I’ll be writing a bit more about this over the coming months.
I’ve covered just about everything Modafinil-related on this page. If you want to read a first hand experience of “a day on Modafinil”, check out my review here.
Otherwise, shoot me an email with any other questions you have on this wonderful little nootropic.
More on taking Modafinil
- Modafinil – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How Does The Liver Convert Adrafinil Into Modafinil?
- How To Time Adrafinil (and Modafinil) With Coffee & Tea
- Do Antidepressants Interact with Adrafinil or Modafinil?
- 4 Real-Life Limitless Pill Alternatives (and Where To Get Them)
- How Long Does Modafinil Last?
- Modafinil Overdose: Is It Possible or Impossible?
- Modafinil For Weight Loss: Does It Help Burn Fat?
- Taking Modafinil without A Prescription: Legal or Illegal?
- Does Modafinil (Provigil) Make You Feel High?
- Does Modafinil Show Up On A Drug Test?
- Everything You Need To Know About Modalert
- Why Does My Head Hurt after Taking Modafinil?
- How Modafinil Strikes the Perfect Balance With Dopamine
- How long does it take Modafinil to wear off?
- Why is Modafinil so expensive?
- How does Modafinil affect your sex life?
- My Experience With Modafinil: Review and Beginner’s Guide
- How Does Modafinil Work?
- How to take Modafinil for the first time
- What are the long term effects of daily Modafinil usage?
- Adrafinil vs Modafinil: Your Guide To Choosing the Best ‘Afinil
- How do caffeine and Modafinil interact?
- What are the effects of drinking alcohol while taking Modafinil?
- How long does Modafinil take to start working?
- Can I Use Modafinil For Depression? Dose and Prescription Information
- Modafinil: The Ultimate Cure For Jet Lag?
- How to Cure Writer’s Block with Modafinil
- Learn a New Language with the Help of Modafinil
- BREAKING: the FDA just banned all imports from Sun Pharmaceuticals, makers of Modalert (modafinil) and Waklert (R-modafinil)
Where to buy Modafinil
- Can You Buy Modafinil In Italy?
- Yes, You Can Buy Modafinil in Argentina (Here’s How)
- Modafinil is Now Available for Purchase in Australia 
- Buying Modafinil in China: What You Should Know
- Modafinil in Canada: Can it be Bought Up North?
- Is it Possible to Buy Modafinil in Mexico OTC? Yep, it Sure is.
- Can You Buy Modafinil in Chile?
- How To Get Modafinil in Colombia (Online and Offline)
- Where To Buy Modafinil Online in 2017
- Can you buy Adrafinil or Modafinil in stores?
- Can you buy Modafinil in the Philippines?
- How I Managed To Get A Prescription For Provigil (Modafinil)
- Is it safe to buy Modafinil (Provigil) online?
- My Experience Using Fluorenol as an Alternative to Modafinil
- The 3 Best Modafinil Alternatives
- 6 Natural Alternatives to Alpha Brain and Modafinil