How do caffeine and Modafinil interact?
If you’re a car lover like me, you would know that there are 2 methods of getting more horses out of your engine.
One is turbocharging the other is supercharging. Both tweaks make the car go faster.
But what we are here to find out is if they can be combined and still not wreck your engine or your drive.
I’m drawing an analogy to caffeine and Modafinil. Of course, they’re not quite the same as super / turbochargers but let’s go along with it for now.
If we combine both, we first need to know what they are capable of as stand-alone brain boosters.
Let’s start with caffeine…
In 17th century England the popularity of the drink gave rise to a number of coffee houses which were dubbed ‘penny universities’, because with one penny a person could buy a cup of coffee and have intellectually stimulating conversations with other people.
So its nootropic effects were confirmed in the civilized society pretty long ago.
It is probably the most-prevalent and popular nootropic in the world.
Drinking coffee goes back more than centuries ago if evidence is to be believed. Wars were actually won because of this amazing drink.
There was a soldier who wrote in his diary ‘you can’t soldier without coffee’.
- Acts as an antioxidant, repairing damage to neurons due to oxidation
- Prevents Parkinson’s disease in some cases
- Lowers the risk of liver cancer
- Generally considered good for the heart
- Diuretic, so loss of fluids and dehydration may occur when consumed in higher amounts
- Increases anxiety in larger quantities
- Known to increase acidity, causing acid reflux
- Mood swings and jitteriness
- Coffee breath
One of the first to earn the moniker “smart drug,” Modafinil has been a strong force in the world of nootropics.
Although its nootropic properties are off-label, you can easily buy it online from a handful of websites. As such, there is enough anecdotal evidence to convince people about its benefits for the brain.
- All benefits of coffee but much stronger
- Studies have found it increases cognitive functions in the brain
- Within accepted dosage levels, side-effects are minimal
- More pronounced effect-for-money-spent than coffee
- Not many people prefer a drug’s off-label use
- Needs prescription or brought in from outside the country
- Need to be careful not to overdo it
So you see they each have their positives and negatives. My job is to find out if they offer a synergistic experience when they are combined. Spoiler alert: they do!
But, do they mix?
Following are the excerpts from my own experience when it comes to mixing the two.
I like my coffee in the morning; every day of the week and a bit late on weekends.
But I have never overdone it. Meaning I don’t guzzle 10 cups of it every day like a lot of people do.
But all said, my cup o’ joe is critical for me to function normally right after I’m up.
I usually pop my Moda right after I wake up.
This gives me ample time to work up a good ‘zone‘ before I head out to work. The coffee goes down the hatch at about 11’o clock.
Let me tell you, if you are used to plain black coffee, you should try coffee on Modafinil. You can literally hear your internal turbo spooling up.
The key to the intake of stacked nootropics is to make sure that you have the exact measure and timing right when you take them.
Timing is everything
I would recommend that you take your dose of Modafinil as you usually do in the morning. Then down the coffee late-morning or post lunch, whenever you are feeling a bit drained.
Since you already have Modafinil in your system, your shot of coffee should now have extra strength and perk you right up!
This recommendation comes after I tried taking both at the same time.
The results were far from beneficial. I was on-edge throughout the day and hardly got any meaningful work done.
The right boost pressure
It’s easy to overboost your turbo/supercharger.
The feeling of power is addictive not to mention all the exciting sounds that go with it! But you should be aware that running it at a high boost can be very harmful to your engine. Similarly with stacking nootropics.
I have come across in a lot of cases is that most people tend to not notice the fact that they are downing huge quantities of coffee even when they are on Modafinil. This might either be due to force of habit or just because it feels good.
But you should avoid doing this as too much coffee when on a course of nootropics can cause loss of focus, jitteriness and anxiety.
But by all accounts, you should give it a try if you do not down coffee by the gallon. Modafinil and caffeine are synergistic and you should have beneficial effects when consumed. They interact and combine with each other well.
Other Modafinil users recognize the synergy between caffeine and Moda. Ronald Ng, a frequent user, had this to say about combining the two:
There is a synergistic effect between modafinil and caffeine.
If you are a regular drinker of caffeine, be especially careful when you begin taking modafinil. Err on the side of caution and assume that your regular morning coffee is going to be two or three times more potent. While this might sound like a good thing, this synergy is also present in the negative effects of any form of over-stimulation.
Yes, you will be more awake but if you have too many coffees, you may find yourself experiencing greater anxiety than usual. It takes time to find the right balance but once you do I think you’ll find that they work well together.
Other Quora users ditch caffeine altogether:
I follow a morning routine similar to Ronald’s. A just a little bit of Armodafinil (37.5 mg or ~1/4 pill) with a cup of green tea or decaf coffee. Together, I feel the benefits of caffeine and modafinil, without the downsides of either (jitters, anxiety, dehydration, anti-social vibe).
So to answer the question we started off with, yes, there are cars that have turbochargers and superchargers combined.
They are called twinchargers and they eliminate the flat-spots normally associated with both the parent technologies.
But you need to be careful as with twincharged engines. Because too much boost pressure can ruin it and send you back to the repair shop with a huge tab.
So go ahead and twin-charge your day with caffeine+Modafinil and tell us how it went in the comments section below.
More on taking Modafinil
- Modafinil – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How Does The Liver Convert Adrafinil Into Modafinil?
- How To Time Adrafinil (and Modafinil) With Coffee & Tea
- Do Antidepressants Interact with Adrafinil or Modafinil?
- What Are the Best Nootropics to Stack with Modafinil?
- 4 Real-Life Limitless Pill Alternatives (and Where To Get Them)
- How Long Does Modafinil Last?
- Modafinil Overdose: Is It Possible or Impossible?
- Modafinil For Weight Loss: Does It Help Burn Fat?
- Taking Modafinil without A Prescription: Legal or Illegal?
- Does Modafinil (Provigil) Make You Feel High?
- Does Modafinil Show Up On A Drug Test?
- Everything You Need To Know About Modalert
- Why Does My Head Hurt after Taking Modafinil?
- What Is The Ideal Modafinil Dosage?
- How Modafinil Strikes the Perfect Balance With Dopamine
- How long does it take Modafinil to wear off?
- Why is Modafinil so expensive?
- How does Modafinil affect your sex life?
- My Experience With Modafinil: Review and Beginner’s Guide
- How Does Modafinil Work?
- How to take Modafinil for the first time
- What are the long term effects of daily Modafinil usage?
- Adrafinil vs Modafinil: Your Guide To Choosing the Best ‘Afinil
- How do caffeine and Modafinil interact?
- What are the effects of drinking alcohol while taking Modafinil?
- How long does Modafinil take to start working?
- Can I Use Modafinil For Depression? Dose and Prescription Information
- Modafinil: The Ultimate Cure For Jet Lag?
- How to Cure Writer’s Block with Modafinil
- Learn a New Language with the Help of Modafinil
- BREAKING: the FDA just banned all imports from Sun Pharmaceuticals, makers of Modalert (modafinil) and Waklert (R-modafinil)
Where to buy Modafinil
- Can You Buy Modafinil In Italy?
- Yes, You Can Buy Modafinil in Argentina (Here’s How)
- Modafinil is Now Available for Purchase in Australia 
- Buying Modafinil in China: What You Should Know
- Modafinil in Canada: Can it be Bought Up North?
- Is it Possible to Buy Modafinil in Mexico OTC? Yep, it Sure is.
- Can You Buy Modafinil in Chile?
- How To Get Modafinil in Colombia (Online and Offline)
- Where To Buy Modafinil Online in 2017
- Can you buy Adrafinil or Modafinil in stores?
- Can you buy Modafinil in the Philippines?
- Can you bring (Provigil) Modafinil through customs in Asia?
- How I Managed To Get A Prescription For Provigil (Modafinil)
- Is it safe to buy Modafinil (Provigil) online?
- My Experience Using Fluorenol as an Alternative to Modafinil
- The 3 Best Modafinil Alternatives
- 6 Natural Alternatives to Alpha Brain and Modafinil