How Long Does It Take for 5-HTP to Work?
Ever heard of serotonin? It’s a faiiiirly important part of the brain’s overall function.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that transports signals between nerves. Serotonin is well known to be the main regulator of our moods and emotions. Often times, serotonin imbalance is said to cause depression and even anxiety.
So what does serotonin have to do with 5-HTP? 5-HTP converts into serotonin, a crucial neurotransmitter.
Being found in the brain, serotonin is very responsible for how we act and how we feel about certain situations. This article will discuss what 5-HTP is, how it works and how long it takes to work.
What Is 5-HTP?
5-HTP is a by-product of L-tryptophan, an important chemical found in the body. L-tryptophan is important for the proper growth and care of many of our major organs.
Our bodies cannot make it on our own. 5-HTP can also be produced from an exotic plant known as the Griffonia simplicifolia which is found in Africa.
5-HTP is a coveted by-product that can be ingested to aid in many different things. This byproduct can be used to help with sleeping disorders, headaches, seizures, Parkinson’s and even obesity. However, it is widely known and accepted that 5-HTP works for clinical depression and anxiety.
5-HTP is found to be very effective through evidence with depression. Through the creation of serotonin thanks to 5-HTP, these levels can rise when ingesting this supplement.
When the serotonin levels rise, it can directly affect our mood, creating an army against depression and anxiety. It is also said that this supplement can be as effective as traditional medication such as Lexapro and Xanax.
A patient that is interested in taking this supplement would need to take up to 3,000 mg daily in order to see results. However, if it is effective, it can be healthier than taking traditional medication from behind the counter.
Anxiety works most like depression works. Therefore, the creation of serotonin can be very beneficial to those with anxiety issues.
When serotonin is created, it has the ability to change our attitudes. When attitudes change, so do our thoughts and our feelings.
Our thoughts and feelings can override our medical issues sometimes when our body feels it is necessary. Therefore, 5-HTP can be effective in those with anxiety through the production of serotonin, much like depression.
5-HTP does have some side effects that should be noted:
- In some serious cases, ingestion of 5-HTP has caused EMS or eosinophilia-myalgia which consists of muscle aches and pain as well as blood disorders.
- Stomach pain
- Sexual issues
However, these are all side effects that have occurred in rare cases by those who have taken extreme amounts of 5-HTP.
It is also important to understand that if you decide to begin a 5-HTP regimen, you should not take your anti-depressants with the supplement due to the overall effects of the serotonin release. Too much of this all together can result in health risks.
You should consult your doctor before beginning any type of regimen even through vitamins or supplements.
How Does 5-HTP Work?
As stated, 5-HTP converts into serotonin throughout a process. It simply aids our body in jump starting the creation of this chemical.
Serotonin is a key chemical in the body that aids in the health and well-being of our brain. Where there are low levels of serotonin or a complete loss of it in the body, 5-HTP can replace what is missing and can cause the body to react differently.
An increase in serotonin can aid in the healing of some diseases such as depression and can also aid in losing weight.
Serotonin levels in our body can be due to our chemical imbalances or perhaps even our genes. Whatever the case, 5-HTP works to increase these levels to a healthy amount.
The whole entire production of the chemical is increased as well as the pace of it. Therefore, depending on the size, height and age of a person, the time it takes for 5-HTP to work differs greatly.
There are some overall general guidelines however that can be used to tell.
How Long Does It Take for 5-HTP to Work?
Your body uses 5-HTP to make serotonin. As soon as your start taking 5-HTP you will find that your body will begin to turn it into serotonin.
It does not waste any time to start creating it. However, the reaction will not start immediately, it will take some time for your body to get used to the changes and for you to notice them. It will also take some time for them to fully take effect.
It is recommended that you take this supplement 2-3 times a day. However, you should do so for no more than three months at a time.
Once again, consult your doctor with any questions you may have regarding your regimen. Also, consult your doctor whether or not 5-HTP is for you.
Have him or her check your weight and height to decide how long it may take for the serotonin to release within your body as it differs for each person.
Generally, it may take up to two weeks to be able to notice a difference in your health and well-being. You could feel more energy, more happiness and better sexual health by taking this great supplement.
Overall, 5-HTP is a totally amazing supplement for those needing to add something to their health regimen. By creating serotonin in your body, this supplement can erase the signs of depression, anxiety and can create overall well-being for you in the long run.
Consult your doctor and ask questions to see if 5-HTP is right for you. If so, you can find 5-HTP in your local department store that sells vitamins or your local vitamin shop.
5-HTP is a wonderful supplement that when taken correctly, can increase serotonin levels back to a normal level. If you are down and out and need a pick me up, try 5-HTP.
More on taking 5-HTP
- Can You Drink Alcohol and Take 5-HTP at The Same Time?
- When Should I Take 5-HTP?
- How Long Does It Take for 5-HTP to Work?
- How To Take 5-HTP To Get The Most Benefits
Supplements for mood enhacement
- Memantine HCL Review: Complete Guide to Dosage & Side Effects
- Can You Get High On Baclofen?
- Niagen Review: the Best Anti-Aging Supplement Available?
- My Experience with 3 Mood Boosters from Nootropics.com
- The Best Prebiotic Supplement: Prebiotic+ From NaturalStacks
- Top 11 Mood Enhancing Supplements in 2017
- Inositol – A Sugar For Treating Diseases
- Methylene Blue as a Nootropic: Full Review
- Top 10 Mood-Boosting Nootropic Supplements
- Rave Smart: 6 Nootropic Alternatives to MDMA and Alcohol
- SAM-e – A Nootropic for Improving Cognition & Fighting Depression
Supplements for anxiety
- Bromantane Review: Quite Possibly the Best Anti-Anxiety Nootropic
- Does Valium Provide a Relaxing High… or Make You Feel Cloudy?
- Can You Get High On Baclofen?
- 10 Best Natural Supplements for Anxiety
- 9 L-Theanine Benefits That Go Far Beyond Anxiety
- The Best Passion Flower Supplement Brands (For Anxiety)
- STOP Anxiety With These Natural Beta Blockers
- Top 12 Anti-Anxiety Herbs to Help You Relax Quickly
- L-Theanine Supplement For Anxiety: What Is The Best Brand?
- Ashwagandha For Anxiety: Is This The Perfect Cure?
- 9 Essential Anxiety Supplements That Are Worth Trying
- What is the Best 5 HTP Supplement for Anxiety
- Alternative Anxiety Medication: Do OTC Supplements Work?
- How Working Out In Nature Alleviates Anxiety
- 6 Treatments for Social Anxiety That Actually Work
- The 3 Best Nootropics for Memory, Anxiety, and Motivation
- Picamilon – An Incredible Mood-Improving Nootropic
- What Are The Best Doses of Phenibut (For Sleep and Anxiety)?