What is the Best 5 HTP Supplement for Anxiety
Are you suffering from fatigue? Do you feel hyper-vigilant or have racing thoughts? If these symptoms keep you up at night, you may be suffering from anxiety.
As a leading mental health advocate, I know that anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., as reported by the National Institute of Mental Health. I also know that symptoms of anxiety, like panic attacks, phobias, and social anxiety can be paralyzing.
Anxiety disorders are remarkably treatable, but only about a third of anxiety sufferers seek treatment. Let’s look at how 5-HTP works for anxiety and panic attacks.
How Do I Know If My Anxiety is Severe?
To understand how severe anxiety symptoms can become, take a look at this list of symptoms as provided by Mayo Clinic:
- Sudden or overwhelming fear
- Shortness of breath
- Sense of choking
- Chest pain
- A feeling of being detached from the world
- Fear of dying
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs or entire body
- Chills or hot flushes
Does 5 HTP Reduce Anxiety?
For most people, anxiety serves a valuable purpose. When you face a situation that makes you apprehensive, the rates of your breathing and heart increase. This causes more blood to flow to your brain and signals your brain to release serotonin. These physiological changes allow you to think and respond under pressure.
Check out this video by Dr. John Gray, author of “Men Are from Mars, Women are from Venus,” where he explains how serotonin helps us recover from the symptoms of anxiety. We consume Tryptophan in our diet, which is then converted to 5 htp in our brains. 5 htp helps release serotonin, which has a calming effect on the limbic system to control anxiety.
According to WebMD, 5 htp is proven to be effective for anxiety and other afflictions such as:
- Sleep disorders
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Seizure disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
5 HTP for Anxiety Gets Strong Reviews
5 htp (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is produced naturally within our bodies as a by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. Manufacturers are able to reproduce it from the seeds of Griffonia Simplicifolia, which is a plant that is grown in Africa. See this video by Dr. Robin Murphy, who presented on Griffonia Simplicifolia as a forgotten natural remedy, at a seminar of his peers.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information reports that studies in rodents prove the effectiveness of 5 htp. You can get an idea about the effectiveness of 5 htp by reading the strong user reviews on Amazon.com.
What is the 5-HTP Recommended Dosage for Anxiety?
In this video, Dr. Ray Sahelian, he discusses his recommendations for 5 htp anxiety dosage. Dr. Sahelian recommends starting with a dosage of 50mg. to reduce some of the negative side-effects, such as nausea or dizziness.
He notes that 5 htp lingers in the system, so it may take a few days before feeling the positive effects. The dosage can be increased to 100mg of 5 htp for anxiety if symptoms persist.
Progressive Health reports that numerous studies have proven effectiveness in treating children for depression, anxiety, night terrors, and sleep disorders.
The recommended dosage of 5 htp is lower for children than for adults, due to the potential for serotonin toxicity in the brain. Ask your child’s pediatrician for the proper dosage of 5 htp for your child.
Children that have liver disease should not take 5 htp because of the risks of liver impairment, which reduces the effects of serotonin over their lifespan. 5 htp is also reported to cause seizures in children with Down syndrome.
Where Do I Get 5 HTP for Anxiety?
Absorb Health has one of the best 5htp supplements for anxiety. The formula comes in 100mg. capsules. Another good place to find 5 htp for anxiety is at Amazon.com, where you will find many other brands. Consumers give top ratings to Irwin Naturals, NOW Foods, and Best Naturals.
Irwin Naturals includes a blend of herbals and botanicals. Reviewers who took the brand from NOW Foods reported good results when taking it either with green tea or after eating blueberries. The Best Naturals brand comes in a lower dose of 50 mg., which might be a good brand to start with for anyone that tends to have a sensitive stomach.
5 htp is affordable with most prices around $10-$15 per bottle. It’s a great value when you consider it’s an investment in feeling better.
If you’ve suffered from sleeplessness, anxiety, or other similar symptoms, you know that it leaves you feeling weak and down. There’s no reason to feel worn out when 5thp for anxiety can help. Any side effects are usually mild and dissipate over time. Doctors recommend starting with a small dose of 50mg. and increasing it to 100mg. as needed.
Try one of these products or one of the other 5htp products for anxiety at Amazon.com:
If you want to know more about 5 htp, feel free to leave a comment or question.
Taking 5 htp helps relieve anxiety and here are a few other things you can do that will help:
- Eat healthily and don’t skip meals
- Try a relaxing activity like yoga, meditation, or massage
- Limit alcohol and caffeine intake
- Get exercise daily
- Accept that you can’t control everything
- Adapt exercises or routines that help you stay positive
More on taking 5-HTP
- Can You Drink Alcohol and Take 5-HTP at The Same Time?
- When Should I Take 5-HTP?
- How Long Does It Take for 5-HTP to Work?
- How To Take 5-HTP To Get The Most Benefits
Supplements for mood enhacement
- Memantine HCL Review: Complete Guide to Dosage & Side Effects
- Can You Get High On Baclofen?
- Niagen Review: the Best Anti-Aging Supplement Available?
- My Experience with 3 Mood Boosters from Nootropics.com
- The Best Prebiotic Supplement: Prebiotic+ From NaturalStacks
- Top 11 Mood Enhancing Supplements in 2017
- Inositol – A Sugar For Treating Diseases
- Methylene Blue as a Nootropic: Full Review
- Top 10 Mood-Boosting Nootropic Supplements
- Rave Smart: 6 Nootropic Alternatives to MDMA and Alcohol
- SAM-e – A Nootropic for Improving Cognition & Fighting Depression
Supplements for anxiety
- Bromantane Review: Quite Possibly the Best Anti-Anxiety Nootropic
- Does Valium Provide a Relaxing High… or Make You Feel Cloudy?
- Can You Get High On Baclofen?
- 10 Best Natural Supplements for Anxiety
- 9 L-Theanine Benefits That Go Far Beyond Anxiety
- The Best Passion Flower Supplement Brands (For Anxiety)
- STOP Anxiety With These Natural Beta Blockers
- Top 12 Anti-Anxiety Herbs to Help You Relax Quickly
- L-Theanine Supplement For Anxiety: What Is The Best Brand?
- Ashwagandha For Anxiety: Is This The Perfect Cure?
- 9 Essential Anxiety Supplements That Are Worth Trying
- What is the Best 5 HTP Supplement for Anxiety
- Alternative Anxiety Medication: Do OTC Supplements Work?
- How Working Out In Nature Alleviates Anxiety
- 6 Treatments for Social Anxiety That Actually Work
- The 3 Best Nootropics for Memory, Anxiety, and Motivation
- Picamilon – An Incredible Mood-Improving Nootropic
- What Are The Best Doses of Phenibut (For Sleep and Anxiety)?