Athletic Greens Review
As a health and nutrition blogger, I’ve been wanting to try Athletic Greens for a while now.
I first heard about this “superfood powder” from Tim Ferriss – he says that if he had to pick only one supplement to use, it would be Athletic Greens. I then heard other famous people (Joe de Sena, Dagmara Wozniak, Tommy Baker, and Dr. Rajan Chatterjee, are just a few ambassadors of this “superfood drink”) boast about how this is the one and only superfood supplement everyone who cares about their health and nutrition should add to their diet.
“A must for optimal performance,” “the most nutrient dense food supplement,” “all-in-one nutritional insurance,” “helps me to get the most out of your mind and body”…
Sound too good to be true? I had to find out!
In this article:
So last month, I purchased a one-month supply of Athletic Greens to discover for myself whether this green powder supplement lives up to the hype.
Oh, and in case you didn’t know…
Reviews are not always written by people who have actual experience with the product. Sometimes they are written by someone who has just pieced together information from other sites and resources.
This one is a real and genuine Athletic Greens review.
And how do you know it’s a genuine Athletic Greens review?
It’s easy once you know what to pay attention to.
- Genuine reviews will not sound like a sales pitch in tone and language. It will tell you things the way they are experienced, and will not try to convince you to buy anything.
- Genuine reviews will include real pictures – not stock product pics downloaded from the internet.
- Genuine reviews will have plenty of little details about things like taste, texture, color, smell, etc.
Here is what my bag looked like:
Please, bear with me – photography is not my strong skill. I just snapped these pics with my phone and did not realize they were not that great until I saw them later on my computer.
So, what do you get for your money with Athletic Greens?
Let’s find out.
When I try a new product, it is very important to me that the directions are clear. I’d rather not let anything go to waste just because the manufacturer didn’t clearly lay out how their product should be used. Athletic Greens had the directions on when and how to use their powder, front and center.
I opened the package and mixed it in with a glass of water. As per the directions, I stirred for 20 seconds, and it mixed quickly. I didn’t get any chunks or unmixed portions. This was good news – I’m too lazy to use my blender, so I probably would not even finish the monthly supply if the powder did not mix well.
I was going to pinch my nose for the first drink – just in case the smell is gross. But that wasn’t the case. The taste and smell were more than tolerable and I even enjoyed the experience as a whole. I’m sure part of that had a lot to do with the thought of doing the right thing for my body, and all of the health benefits that come with taking quality supplements.
In short, my first impression was impressed. I was looking forward to continuing the superfood drink to see if any real health benefits came from it.
What Are Athletic Greens?
The company and the product name are one and the same: Athletic Greens. Being on the market for almost 10 years, Athletic Greens is one of the most well-known green superfood powders available today.
The company boasts of the obsessive research they do to provide their customers with the absolute best and safest greens product on the market. They claim they research each ingredient to include the most optimal amount needed for absorption and synthesis in the body.
I’ve researched Athletic Greens, and it seems they try to stand apart from their competitors.
Here are a few things I thought were worth noting:
- Comprehensive Nutritional Support
They promise that their supplement provides you with comprehensive nutritional support in 5 critical health areas: digestion and gut health, immune and nervous system support, energy, healthy aging, and neural support.
- GMP Certified & TGA Registered
They have taken steps to ensure their products are safe by completing and maintaining their GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) certification and TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) registration.
- Giving Back
They teamed up with two organizations that work to enrich the lives of some of the world’s poorest and forgotten – Mary’s Meals (provides meals to children in school) and Urban Light (education and health services to male victims of human trafficking).
They give you a 60 days, no questions asked, money back guarantee. The product can be returned for a refund within 60 days of receiving, whether it is open or unopened.
Benefits of Athletic Greens
Athletic Greens claims to have done the research to determine the top vitamins and minerals necessary to fill in the most common nutrient deficiencies and added them to their product.
As with any dietary supplement it is just that, a supplement. It should not replace a balanced diet, but enhance it. Still, I do appreciate the peace of mind that comes with knowing my diet has no nutritional gaps.
So, what exactly am I getting with this amazing green superfood?
- Antioxidant content of a greens shake is arguably the most beneficial component. Antioxidants are essential for slowing cellular damage in our bodies which can lead to early aging, oxidative stress, and chronic conditions like cancer and diabetes. While Athletic Greens has not quantified the antioxidant content of their shake against a food sample, like a cup of blueberries, you only have to read the nutrition panel to get a taste for how well it measures up. Vitamins C, A, and E are well known for their antioxidant properties, and additional ingredients of wheatgrass, chlorella, cocoa bean polyphenol, spirulina, green tea leaf extract, and grape seed extract make this supplement an antioxidant powerhouse.
- Adaptogens is a term that is becoming more well known in the health industry, for good reason. Adaptogens are natural substances, often found in herbal remedies. Their role in living plants is to help them adapt to stress and bring about homeostasis. Lucky for us, adaptogens work the same way in our bodies, helping us reach homeostasis and respond to stress in a healthy way. It is no surprise or secret that stress causes a host of negative health complications, some seen and some unseen. Astragalus and ashwagandha are two adaptogen ingredients that are added to Athletic Greens, to boost its health impact and help bring balance to your body and mind.
- Dairy Free Probiotics & Zero Allergens is a promise Athletic Greens makes to their consumers. In today’s health climate, the rate of gastrointestinal issues and food allergies is reaching an alarming high. Probiotics are an effective way to address many gastrointestinal illnesses that we face today. The supplement includes some dairy-free probiotics like lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum.The formulation should work pretty well for just about any dietary pattern or intolerance since the greens drink is free from gluten, dairy, corn, egg, peanuts, lactose, dextrose, sucrose, animal products, herbicides, pesticides, preservatives, artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners. It is also non-GMO.The purity of their ingredients is almost too much to list. Because of this attention to purity, keto dieters, vegans, people with food sensitivities, and paleo eaters should have no issues with this greens superfood.
- Digestive Enzymes have been added to support gut health. Digestive enzymes work to support gut health and proper digestion. Astragalus root, reishi mushroom powder, shiitake mushroom powder, burdock root powder, and bromelain are the primary active digestive enzymes in the supplement.By supporting digestive health, Athletic Greens is addressing many common concerns like immune health, digestion, gut health, and liver support.
- Bioavailability is another important element to keep in mind when it comes to dietary supplement-type products claiming to provide health benefits. Bioavailability is the amount of a product that is actually absorbed to produce the health outcomes it claims to make. Athletic Greens claims they have taken the time to research each ingredient for optimal absorption and benefits to ensure “high bioavailability” in the ingredients they use.
- Nutrient Density, which means the product has a high nutrient-to-calorie ratio. I watch my weight, and want no empty calories. Some other greens and shakes have the appearance of being nutrient dense, but they slack on important vitamins and minerals that add benefits while focusing primarily on protein. But I take care of my protein needs already with a grass-fed, whey protein powder, so if I take a supplement that claims to be a “green superfood powder,” I want it to be more than just protein and calories.
How to Take In Athletic Greens
The supplement is available in 12 gram (0.4 oz), single-serving, individual packets.
The directions are quite simple:
- grab a glass, or a shaker
- add 6-10 oz of cold water
- add one heaped tablespoon of powder into water
- stir for 20 seconds (or shake, if using a shaker)